Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Quick Post

This last week has been crazy. I had terrible headaches for about 6 days, along with just generally not feeling all that great. Emily and I hosted 4 people over the period of 6 days, saw great friends from out of town and in town and attended the Lauterez wedding.

Since moving to Chicago I haven't had a need to go to the doctor. I went to the Minute Clinic when I had strep, got tested and got some antibiotics. Now I need to find a family practice doctor and actually go in and find out what is wrong with me. Kind of weird, since I haven't visited a doctor more than about 3 times in the last 10 years. Have an appointment tomorrow.

I've really enjoyed some of the recent conversations about the Church. It's really got me thinking about what it looks like for me, not just other people, to engage in my local community, church and world in general. One thing I would like to throw out there and then write on further later today or tomorrow is the role of the Bible in our living out of our faith. Conversations, experiments and opinions on their own are kind of useless. Also, throwing around Bible verses to say "Help the poor", "Don't help the poor", or anything crazy like that is pretty useless as well. What I am eager to see is how can a community, local, web-based and global engage with the WHOLE of Scripture to inform how we live. Especially knowing that many of us read the Bible differently? Thoughts before I share mine?

peace,

1 comment:

Ariah said...

Nothing really terribly fabulous to say here, just a straight up honest moment: I don't read my Bible much anymore.

I review the sermon on the mount occasionally, and I figure when I and the people I fellowship/go to church with are living out even 20% of what Jesus talks about in there, I might pick up the book again and consider more of it. But that's just where I'm at.