Thursday, August 13, 2009

New Orleans

Yeah, I know, it's been a while. My bad. Want to get back to writing, we'll see if it happens.

This summer has been super busy. Went to Peru for two weeks, preached my first sermon and went to New Orleans with the Senior High at our church. Overall, it's been a great summer, even if I haven't had time to breathe at all.

New Orleans is still pretty depressing. I hadn't been down ever before, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I can't believe that New Orleans has recovered from Katrina. Yes, it was a MAJOR deal, the whole city flooded and there are lots of other issues that have and still do complicate recovery and rebuilding. All that said, it's REALLY pathetic that more hasn't been done.

I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of should we rebuild something that is just going to keep flooding, racial problems and make-ups of the area, and the best way to rebuild. Brad Pitt wants to put up super green, modern looking, state of the art houses in the Lower 9th to rebuild. Habitat puts up simple, cookie-cutter like houses that are very affordable. The city dozes and then leaves empty lots. It's complicated, yes. What I do know, though, is that as a whole, the country hasn't done NEARLY enough to help New Orleans figure out what to do and help assist in whatever the 'solution' is. It's 5 years later and money has been wasted, stolen and just not spent. The nation doesn't stand by and watch, we walk away and ignore a whole city. Kind of like we ignore the fact that we massacred the Africans we brought over as slaves and the Native Peoples that we committed genocide on.

I digress...

Peace,

No comments: