Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Church of the Ascension

If you read my blogs then you know I have been going to Church of the Ascension a couple times a week for a while for Morning Prayer and Low Mass.  Simply put, I love it.  I was thinking about this a bit this morning as I was heading to work, right across the street, from mass, of why I have enjoyed this so much.  The three big reasons that came to me were these:  

First, I was invited to come.  As I was reflecting on this, I realized that I've never been invited to church before.  Sure, to come to some special event like a friend preaching, baptism or something of the like, but never, "Hey, should should come to my church and check it out."  Now, this makes sense, since people who know me know I go to church.  They aren't going to say, "Hey, I know you go to church already, but you should come to my church on Sunday".  However, since Morning Prayer and Low Mass are each day, Scott was able to actually just straight up invite me.  Good work, and thank you, Scott.

Second, I enjoy fellowship with other brothers and sisters that are a part of a tradition that is different from mine.  Going to church my whole life I never crossed myself, had a patron saint, followed along in a book of common prayer or sang a liturgy (see below).  It is awesome to learn about and share in these things with fellow Christians.  Brings a whole new meaning and depth of insight to unity in the Church.

Third, it's nice to not have to do anything.  Now that I work at a church I have stuff to do on Sundays.  I can't just sit back and enjoy a service without thinking, "What do I have to be in charge of next?"  Don't get me wrong, I love working and worshipping at LaSalle.  However, I also love worshipping at Ascension.


Last Thursday I went to Ascension's Ascension Day service.  (Yes, the double Ascension part is pretty funny).  It was GREAT!  The whole service was sung in chant and there was an amazing organist and beautiful choir.  The procession in with the crucifix, candles, banner, incense and fully robed priests was amazing.  All in all, a wonderful experience.  Not only am I not used to saying the Nicene Creed, I'm really not used to singing it in chant.  

If there is a high Episcopal church near you, check it out.

peace,


5 comments:

Robin said...

Devin, where were you in the glory days of Great Shepherd, and how did no one ever invite you? Or were you one of those people who stubbornly wouldn't go because that's where everyone went? If so, shame on you. You missed out. End scolding.

Oh how I miss high church. I love my church here, but what I wouldn't give for some confession and Nicene Creed and liturgical songs and Communion every week and...sigh. I just love the link to the global and historical community of believers and how perfectly and intentionally every word and action and symbol is crafted in order to usher you into the awareness of God's presence for straight up WORSHIP.

Eric said...

Devin - Check out the description of liturgy from our church bulletin...

"A WORD ABOUT USING THIS LITURGY
Many of us are unfamiliar with the use of a structured liturgy (order) in worship. The word liturgy means “the work of the people.” It points us to worship as an act rather than as an experience. The experience comes as a result of the act, for we have come to do something (worship) and the blessings we receive are in response to what we have given.

Much of the liturgy at City Presbyterian is antiphonal (“responsive”) in character. These antiphons echo the rhythms of heaven, for throughout Scripture deep calls to deep, day answers to night, mountain calls to
valley, one angel calls to another, God calls out to his people. As Thomas Howard has said: “Antiphony deepens the shallow pool of our personal resources and sets us free from the prison of our own meager capacity to respond adequately in a given situation…in the act of worship on earth we begin to learn the script of heaven.”

We recognize that it is easy to mentally “check out” when reading things aloud. As you read and sing, ask God to empower you to worship with all your heart and mind. Like all skills, worship becomes easier the
more you do it. Turn off the auto-pilot and worship as though God is truly present with us today– for he
truly is."

The script of heaven. How cool is that?

And no one ever invited me to Great Shepherd either. But I wouldn't have gone cus that is where everyone went.

Robin said...

shame on you, Eric. and shame on me for being such a poor evangelist of the anglican way.

Scott said...

Devin,

I'm so glad you could join us for Ascension at Ascension! Now you've experienced basically the same thing we do on Sundays at 11, except the solemn procession at the beginning was added on for Ascension Day (marching around in circles is a good old Anglican custom).

I happen to think our two churches represent very complementary ways of worship, outreach, and devotion, and we'd be blessed, too, to cross the street and experience your tradition at LaSalle Street Church. Dare one hope that some day our churches can cooperate in ministry to the bustling and diverse neighborhood in Near North and Old Town? What better era for Christians from different traditions to cooperate in mission? Not to mention worship and fellowship?

Beautiful blog post, Devin. Thanks! And see you in church (on whichever side of LaSalle Boulevard)! Scott

celticanglican said...

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's really great when we're able to learn from each other.